Friday 4 January 2013

Beware of Scam Projects at Freelancer.com

Freelancer.com is a legit site that works by bringing employers and employees together. The site mostly attracts employers who need cheap labour and most of the projects there are legit. However, there are a large number of scammers on the loose at freelancer.com. These scammers demand that you provide them with samples of work on their topic of choice or their specific instructions. Alternatively, they claim to give you a test assignment which is not paid for. They then claim to review the responses to decide who to give the assignment to.

The following is a screenshot of a project at freelancer.com (click on it to enlarge it):
freelancer.com scam
Please notice the budget is set at a high range, $1500-$12500 to attract bidders.
Also note the fact that one is supposed to complete 100 pages of unpaid work as part of the test assignment. I just wonder, what if the owner of the project gave different 'test assignments'  to 10 bidders. That would be 1, 000 pages for free. Its very possible for the owner of the project to disappear  after getting the 1000 free pages.

Wait a minute, the owner of the project has changed the profile details a few minutes after posting the project. There is a very attractive profile pic. What's more, he has changed his country to United Kingdom from Bangladesh! I started tracking the project immediately it was posted and minutes later, the project has already attracted 6 bids. I bet by the end of the project there will be 100+ bids.
Below is the changed profile:
freelancer.com scam

I cannot imagine myself providing 100 pages of free work before I can get paid.1 or 2 pages would be a more reasonable request. And considering the number of complaints from freelancers who have provided samples only for the project owners to disappear after receiving the samples, I would trend cautiously when it comes to projects that require special samples.

When it comes to writing, a serious employer can evaluate your skills based on your previously completed papers, i.e. you do not have to write 5 samples based on specific keywords and instructions for the employer to assess your writing skills.

As for the above scenario, I would not be surprised if the 100 pages 'test assignment' that one is required to complete before being given work is part of the project. Do note that the employer has stated that the 100 pages will not be paid.

Also note that the profile is new-no reviews.

Just wanted to bring to your attention this detail to avoid wasting your time and money bidding for projects that are fake and which will drain you in terms of energy-100 pages of free work can really drain you.

15 comments:

  1. This is the only article exposing the Bangladeshi people who are now doing this activity on a massive scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Article Mary.

    I never knew that a Legit site like ODesk do have scammers lurking.

    By the way, you may dropby to my site at www.bisdakblogger.blogspot.com . I have plenty of articles you may find interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cjinc.info are a TOTAL SCAM they take your money don't send your account or refund you, I have proofs for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell This blogsite is very good, You can my blogsite to click here
    news
    sports

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell This blogsite is very good, You can my blogsite to click here

    news
    sports

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks for the article! It has useful information! Recently I started learning about make money
    "". and I’m really excited because I started my own blog. I have no experience and knowledge of how to build a blog but it’s really interesting! Yesterday I saw an article and it seems really honest. If you can check it out and give me your opinion I will be thankful! I will start right now following your tips!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's a great post. now am so happy for reading this post.
    Because of this very useful information for everyone.
    Thank a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    freelance data entry jobs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. Africa freelancer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! loungu account

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for share this informative text.i read your blog and understand what you said that.its very important thing for freelancer in bangladesh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this article together reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still
    worthwhile!

    Best Digital Marketing Agency !

    ReplyDelete
  13. With lot of opportunities in gig economy, you come across these scammers too. Here is a helpful article that will help you avoid scam in freelancing.

    ReplyDelete